doy_vocations

September 2017
S M T W T F S
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

DOY-LogoNew

 

StDymphnaShrineLogo

A BRIEF HISTORY OF

ST. JOAN OF ARC PARISH

Arches746x486

 

In October of 1944, the Diocese of Youngstown agreed to establish a new parish between Canton and Massillon.  This church would be dedicated to St. Joan of Arc and serve 180 Catholic families in the area.  Monsignor William Fitzgerald and the Precious Blood fathers provided Sunday and holyday liturgies at what is now the gymnasium at Central Catholic High School.

In the summer of 1951, the property was purchased and ground broke for the school and temporary church.  The first Mass took place on parish property on September 3, 1952.  That same week the school opened with 272 students.  The convent was built to house the Ursuline sisters who taught at the school.  Following years of growth the first church became overcrowded and a new church was needed.  The ground breaking for our current church was October7, 1962.  The rectory was the last permanent building to be added to the church property.

Since that time, as part of the Capital Campaigns we were able to renovate many areas of the church property.  The church itself has had storm windows and screens installed to protect the stained glass windows.  There has been a new heating and cooling system added.  Along with other maintenance items including parking lot resurfacing and roof repairs, the pews and floors have been refinished.  After adding mobile classroom units in 1999, the school went through a large remodeling process.  A new heating and cooling system was added as well as new wiring, lighting, and drop ceilings.  New windows and a trussed roof were installed.  The rededication ceremony took place on September 28, 2003.  The convent has transitioned to serve as our Parish Center.  It houses administrative offices, meeting rooms, work rooms, the school library on the 2nd floor and preschool in the basement.  Trussed roofing was added to garages on the property and to the rectory.

 

Sanctuary746x496

 

Our church has been blessed with dedicated and faith-filled leaders.  Our past spiritual leaders included Monsignor William Fitzgerald, Father Homer Oliver, Father John Lody, Monsignor John Daum, Father Thomas Dyer, and Father William Kraynak.

Father G. David Weikart, our current pastor, joined us in July of 2013.  He is guiding our parish in the practices of Faith, Charity and Hope in response to the needs of our 1300 families.

 

 WinterExterior746x438